There are many options for repurposing or donating old clothing. For pet owners, here is one more option: making a custom pet bed. This simple DIY project will help you transform an old sweatshirt into a cozy new bed for your small dog or cat. Here is all of the information you need to get started:
Materials & Tools
- Sewing thread
- Thick sewing needle
- Cushion filling
- Small pillow
- Rectangular scrap of fabric (optional)
Step by step
- To begin, turn the sweatshirt inside out. Remove the tag if there is one, and gather the edges of the collar together.
- Using either a sewing machine or needle and thread, sew the collar of the sweatshirt closed, then flip it right-side out.
- Draw a straight line from one armpit to the other. Mark the line with pins or chalk.
- Sew along the line and remove the pins.
- Line up the sleeves along the sides of the sweatshirt and sew them together.
- Take your choice of filling and stuff it into the cuffs of the sleeves. This will form the outer edge of the bed.
- Fill the rest of the sweatshirt through the bottom. You can use a small pillow, more pillow stuffing or another stuffing material of your choice.
- Sew along the opening at the bottom of the sweatshirt, then join and sew the cuffs together around the bottom.
- As an optional step, you can add a sleeve of scrap fabric over the cuffs to hide the stitching. Otherwise, your new pet bed is ready for your cat or dog to sleep in and enjoy.
Now you know a great way to repurpose an old favorite sweatshirt. These same instructions also work well with long-sleeved shirts made of heavy cotton or other durable fabric. Regardless, your pet will love their new cozy DIY bed.